ESPN and Special Olympics International have extended and expanded their relationship.
The new agreement means that the global multimedia company will cover the Special Olympics World Winter Games 2021 in Sweden.
– It means that our event will be broadcast to millions of people all over the world, says Gerda Nilsson Tjernström, Games Director for Special Olympics World Winter Games.
The new agreement reaches over eight years and means for instance that ESPN becomes Global Broadcaster Partner for Special Olympics World Games, World Winter Games and USA Games.
– The relationship between ESPN and Special Olympics spans nearly three and a half decades and has been built on a bedrock of shared belief in the power of sports to positively impact lives and make lasting change in the world, said Jimmy Pitaro, President of ESPN and co-Chair, Disney Media Networks.
– In many ways, Special Olympics represents all that is great about sports.
ESPN’s groundbreaking multimedia coverage of Special Olympics events began in 2015. Since then, ESPN has covered Special Olympics World Winter Games in Austria and Special Olympics World Games in Abu Dhabi. Next major event in line is the Special Olympics World Winter Games Sweden in Åre and Östersund in 2021.
– From a Swedish point of view are we very happy that ESPN is stepping in as global broadcaster, says Gerda Nilsson Tjernström, Games Director for Special Olympics World Winter Games in Åre and Östersund.
The broadcasts will be watched by millions of people all around the world. ESPN will also work together with host-market broadcasters to bring the event to even mor viewers.
– I’m very pleased that our athletes have this opportunity to show the world their fantastic performances, says Johan Strid, National Director Special Olympics Sweden.
In addition to the above, the agreement also means that ESPN will continue as a Global Presenting Sponsor for Special Olympics Unified Sports, and that ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World will host Special Olympics USA Games 2022.
Special Olympics World Winter Games Sweden is the worlds biggest humanitarian sports event in 2021. The competitions will takes place February 6th–12th.