Nursing homes will get the unique chance to participate in Healthy Athletes during the Special Olympics Sweden Invitational Games.
– This is a fantastic opportunity for us to see how we are doing in healthcare issues, says Eric Jibor, at the Care administration at Östersunds municipality.
During the Special Olympics Sweden Invitational Games, Healthy Athletes will be held in Sweden for the first time. Unique for the games in Åre and Östersund is that the health screenings also will be offered to people living in nursing homes in the region.
– It was a request from our side. Then Special Olympics opened a door and made it possible. It feels like a great opportunity for us, say Eric Jibor, operations developer at the Care Administration at Östersund municipality.
The health screenings will take place during three days at the Mid Sweden University in Östersund. Participants can choose to go through different screenings such as sight, hearing, foot health, oral health, mentally well-off and so on, with the help from specially trained volunteers with medical skills.
– We now that they exercise less, eat worse, get diseases that are avoidable and have less access to health care. We believe that if we put focus, not only on health issues, but on lifestyle issues and physical activities, we can do a lot for this group of people, says Lars Backus, Head of Sector at Sector Disability at the Care Administration at Östersunds municipality.
Whit the help of Healthy Athletes, Östersund municipality hopes to be able to measure the current health situation for people with intellectual disabilities.
– From our perspective it’s a great opportunity to see how we stand in health issues. These are very important basic things they look at, says Lars Backus.
– For us, it contributes to the experience we want. We have never had Healthy Athletes in Sweden before and we need to train our health care in the methods that we believe are very good and that exist in Healthy Athletes, says Karin Riddar, Head of Operations at Special Olympics Sweden Invitational Games 2020.
– It’s a win-win.
Special Olympics Sweden Invitational Games 2020 will take place between February 1st – 4th.
Click here to read more about Healthy Athletes.