Vision and mission
The Special Olympics World Winter Games 2021 has the potential to become an unique event: the first ever in the Nordic countries and the first with golas that extend beyond and before the games.
Our vision for Special Olympics World Winter Games 2021 is to get more people with intellectual disabilities into physical activity in an inclusive sports movement. We are going to change attitudes to and improve the public health of people with intellectual disabilities in a society characterized by social sustainability, in Sweden and the world.
Special Olympics World Winter Games 2021 is a tool in the long-term strategic work aimed at improving public health and sports opportunities for people with intellectual disabilities. This is the start of a big investment in improving the public health of people with intellectual disabilities.
• We want to create a model that focuses on health that many countries in Northern Europe will be able to use in connection with their Healthy Athletes Programs.
• A unique event that has never before been held in the Nordic countries – the competition will boost Special Olympics Sweden on all levels and create new ways of working, structures, and concepts.
• To improve the health conditions for people with intellectual disabilities.
• To develop Unified to create a more inclusive sports movement.
• An opportunity for the host region to attract a new tourist group.